GPS (Grieving Parents Support) REFLECTION & INSIGHT:
7 Relationship Tips to Restart Communication
- Choose a suitable time and space to talk
- Be clear and ask questions instead of assuming
- Speak in first person and use I instead of you, when stating your needs
- Keep it short and simple. The more succinct your statement of need is, the better the chance for your partner to listen and understand
- Be polite and express appreciation
- Don’t store things up. Speak in present tense about the issue that is happening right now
- Allow yourself to be vulnerable and speak about your feelings. Remember that anger is usually a cover up emotion for secondary emotions like hurt, insecurity, hopelessness, or fear.
If you find these tipps useful, but would like to get more helpful tipps, sign up for Grieving Parents Support Updates here.
If you would like to read more articles on the topic of Relationship Communication click here.